19 March 2012

That Unnamed Feeling...ASMR

For a long time, I thought I was the only person who got tingles down the back of the neck and shots of it through the body if someone flipped through a magazine. The same happens if hair is being groomed and fixed. Lord help us if it's mine, I would dissolve.
Once a friend of mine was flipping through a fashion magazine. She became uncomfortable and was shooting me weird looks. Eventually she stopped and asked why my eyes half-closed and I stared at her hands so fixedly.
I couldn't explain what was happening to me, and I can only guess at what went through her head.
Now I know I'm not a freak of nature, there are others who experience ASMR, there are even YouTube channels dedicated to it.

ASMR stands for Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response. Don’t let the big jargony name fool you, I was told the other day it's an informal and non-scientific term. It refers to the tingling sensation triggered by watching or listening to particular events or activities. The tingling sensation differs from the one triggered by fear; ASMR has a definite relaxing edge to it. It was called at one stage AIHO, which stands for Attention Induced Head Orgasm; that on its own should explain part of the feeling. I'm aware of one more term for it: WHS which stands for Weird Head Sensation.
It's like those round globes with rays of light if you touch them, the Plasma Globes or balls. Picture those rays shooting out of your head and neck to different parts of your body, bringing on a sensation that will leave you caught in the moment. Your eyes or ears won't be able to release whatever causes the feeling.
Plasma ball cosmocurio
From what I watched on YouTube, there are different triggers; like listening to a foreign language or a whispering, having your or someone else's hair being massaged, tapping of nails on wood or hard surfaces, flipping of pages, watching someone perform an activity like gardening or painting or drawing. Even watching someone hand-write can trigger it. The other day I was watching an episode of Tales of the Unexpected and a woman touched a small arrangement of flowers gently, just in passing. Man, did I melt!
These are examples of many more. Mine are: 
  • Playing with or grooming my hair or someone else's.
  • Listening to someone hum while delicately performing an activity. This one varies.
  • Flipping through a magazine.
Unfortunately, if I'm the one flipping the pages, playing with my hair, or humming, it doesn't work. For these triggers to work for me, someone else must perform them naturally. In other words, a person should not be doing them slowly or gently on purpose to cause ASMR; it should be a natural process. Does that make sense? Some videos on YouTube accomplish that, others come across as forced or fake.
Sadly, every good feeling comes to an end, and with that ending some people reported headache, numbness, or irritation.
I must admit though, I never experienced any of these negative feelings after a good ASMR session. Well, perhaps only an irritation that it's over.

I'll leave you now with a sample video of turning pages, it's by Visual Sounds1 on YouTube:

So, have you ever experienced ASMR? If yes, what are your triggers?

 Image attribution: By Cosmocurio (Own work) [GFDL (www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html), CC-BY-SA-3.0 (www.creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/) or CC-BY-SA-2.5-2.0-1.0 (www.creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5-2.0-1.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

7 comments:

  1. I used to be a dancer and I get that response whenever I see anyone dancing. Doesn't matter what kind. That's why I never watch Dancing with the Stars or musicals. I also do the Involuntary Kinetic Response which means muscles remembering those dance steps try to duplicate them while I watch. Luckily I've managed to control that so I'm not jerking around in my chair! Good article. Thanx for the info

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get this too, usually from having my hair washed or scalp massaged. Nice to know it's not just me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Toni: Involuntary Kinetic Response! So that's the term for what my body does in response to ASMR. *sigh* it's such a delicious feeling, I don't want to ever lose it :-)

    @Tanith: It's not just you, there's a huge community out there of people who enjoy ASMR. I love it when my hair is washed with delicate, gentle sweeps...great trigger.

    Thank you both for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really enjoyed this post, Su! Ive never heard the official name for this sensation. Kewl to know now! Thanks for sharing!

    hugs, Kari Thomas, www.authorkari.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Kari: I had the same reaction when I stumbled upon the term.
    Thanks for stopping by, Kari

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never heard of this before and, although I find lots of things pleasurable, like grooming and watching dance, I can't say it gives me quite the sensation you describe. Sometimes I think I'm missing an awful lot in life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Jenny: It goes beyond pleasurable, I can fall asleep during one.
    My sister (Muna) has no clue what I'm talking about as well, she just finished telling me that I have issues LOL
    God, how I love her!

    ReplyDelete